Thursday 24 October 2013

Old Octo Dude - WIP

I'm still working on my alien/monkey hybrid character but I also have this fella on the go too. He's an octopus/squid type mix with an elderly, mischievous man.
click to enlarge
I had been working on an exaggerated cartoon-ish old guy face when it suddenly dawned on me: what if he had tentacles? The idea progressed and I decided he could be sort of like the mythological tale of the 'old man of the sea'. This paragraph from the Wiki page particularly caught my interest:
"The Old Man of the Sea in the Sinbad tales was said to trick a traveller into letting him ride on his shoulders while the traveller transported him across a stream. However, the Old Man would then not release his grip, forcing his victim to transport him wherever he pleased and allowing his victim little rest. The Old Man's victims all eventually died of this miserable treatment, but Sinbad, after having got the Old Man drunk with wine, was able to shake him off and kill him."
The old man is described as being capable of changing shape from one form to another at will. The only way to stop him is by capturing him ( sounds like a leprechaun!).
I figured that if he changes shape and he lives in the sea then he's likely to turn into an octopus/squid at some stage.
That's my logic anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment